Why should I volunteer?
● Physical Exercise: Dogs need regular exercise to maintain their physical health. Walking provides an opportunity for shelter dogs to stretch their legs, burn off energy, and maintain a healthy weight.
● Mental Stimulation: Walking provides pups with mental stimulation by exposing them to new sights, sounds, and smells. It reduces anxiety, and provides an outlet for their energy.
● Socialization: Many shelter dogs have had limited socialization experiences, which can affect their behavior and make it challenging for them to find permanent homes. Walking exposes them to different environments, people, and other animals, helping them develop better social skills and become more comfortable around strangers.\
● Human Interaction and Bonding: Walking them allows volunteers and staff members to spend quality time with the dogs, providing them with attention, affection, and a sense of belonging. This interaction strengthens the bond between humans and dogs, making them more trusting and emotionally stable.
How do I become a dog walker?
1. Fill out the volunteer application via https://www.volgistics.com/appform/4410567 2. Do a shelter tour with our Volunteer Coordinator, Audrey.
3. Attend the dog walking orientation with the manager.
4. Complete 3 hours of dog walking shadowing with a staff member.
Fun Events for Certified Dog Walkers:
● Group Dog Walks: These events are usually pre-planned for volunteers to meet up with a group of pups at fun locations such as Chewacla Park and Samford Lawn.
● Daily Dog Walking: Volunteers can pick up dogs throughout the day and take them on walks around the Auburn area!
● Adoption Events: These events are very successful and we love to have volunteers to assist with them.
● Other Events: LCHS hosts many fun events throughout the summer! Check our social media accounts for more information.
Dog walking at LCHS is a rewarding and gratifying experience that allows volunteers to make a tangible difference in the lives of these deserving animals!
Please contact us with any questions!