• Kelly Daniel

What to Do if You Find a Stray Animal

As almost anyone who knows me will attest, I have a strange ability to attract lost dogs. Even before I went to work at the Lee County Humane Society, meeting up with lost dogs was a regular and almost expected occurrence in my life. Several times a year I’ll go outside a strange dog will go trotting down my street, or I’ll be driving the kids to their next activity and a stray pup will run past my van. We even had a dog show up on our front porch in the middle of Hurricane Irma last year.

It dawned on me that a lot of people don’t know what to do if THEY find a lost animal in our area, so this week I want to clear up what you should do if you find a lost animal in our area.

It’s a LITTLE confusing, depending on where and when you find a lost animal, but I hope this will help clear things up.

If you have found a lost pet in the Auburn or Opelika city limits, you can bring it to the LCHS shelter at, 1140 Ware Drive in Auburn, during our regular intake hours, Monday 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., Tuesday-Sunday 8:30a.m.- 5:00 p.m.

Please be sure to use the side door that is marked for intake, not the main glass double doors.

​If you find a stray animal that you can’t safely bring in yourself, or you want to report a loose roaming animal, please remember LCHS doesn’t pick up strays, you must contact your local animal control:

• Auburn Animal Control - (334) 501-3090 • Opelika Animal Control - (334) 705-5480

If the animal was found outside of the Opelika or Auburn city limits, you will need to contact the appropriate organization. If found in Lee County but not within the city limits, you must contact Lee County Animal Control. They can be reached at 334-737-7013, Monday to Friday 7:30 AM – 3:30 PM

Alternatively, animals may be dropped off at the Department of Environmental Services located at 100 Orr Avenue, Opelika 36804. They are open Monday through Fri 7:30 AM – 3:30 PM.

They request a call to 334-737-7013, ahead of time so that an animal control officer can be there to greet you.

If you find a pet in the city limits of Opelika or Auburn outside of LCHS’s normal business hours, and you cannot hold the pet until the shelter opens the next day, you should contact the police for Auburn or Opelika, depending on where you found the animal. They will make arrangements with you directly.

If a pet is found outside the Auburn or Opelika city limits outside of normal business hours, but is still inside Lee County; the person who finds the animal should contact the Lee County Sheriff’s Department. 

If you find an injured stray pet; please take the animal to the AU Emergency Care clinic. Their number is 334-844-4690.  You will be asked to sign a release which states you do not own the pet. 

If you can, also take a picture of the animal you’ve found and post it on the Opelika-Auburn Lost and Found Pets Facebook page ( along with a brief description of where you found the animal, and where you’ve taken it, this easy step can help the owner reunite with their pet much more quickly.

Weekly Wish: Please consider using Amazon Smile when you shop. All you have to do is go to when you shop, and make sure you’ve designated Lee County Humane Society as your charity of choice. Every time you shop Amazon will make a donation to LCHS for you! It won’t cost you a penny, and it’s an easy way to help.


Auburn, AL | | 334-821-3222

Our Instagram Feed